Alfred Reed Bishop and Doris William Butler

The picture above is the very tap root of Bishop's Homegrown/Face Of The Earth Seed. My grandparents shortly after moving to Pekin Indiana from Greensburg KY in 1947 where they purchased the farm that is now Bishop's Homegrown. This picture was taken in Pekin in front of the old co-op next to the old railroad depot, neither of which exist today.

Search This Blog

Friday, April 4, 2008

Spring 2008 is here!


I've been shirking my internet and article/research writing duties the past couple of weeks due to the constant workload here on the farm as well as a sinus infection that has had me down for the past week or so. Anyhow, just to give a quick update on the things we've been up to here on this little farm of ours:

-cutting and planting over 1,000 lbs of seed potatoes

-getting caught up with starting our seeds, we are about 90% done now.

-Buying some much needed new farm equipment including a John Deer 955 mini-tractor with a front end loader and an 18 foot trailer

-Working on farm equipment

-Planting a ton of greens and lettuce

-Taking care of the new greenhouse crop

-I've started playing music again with some old friends, mostly playing bass guitar, it's a nice release here and there and something I really enjoy.

Hopefully this coming weekend or early next week I'll get some new articles written for this site and the www.notjusthearsay.com site as well as get to do some work to the new interactive Hip-Gnosis seed development web-site.

Hopefully as well the rain will stop soon so I can get the rest of my potatoes, cabbage, and other cole crops in the ground.

We will be bringing in a couple of hives of honey bees in the next week or so, very excited about that!

I got to clean out the neighbors cow barn which gave me about 15 tons or so of cow manure, I've already spread lime and disced a few fields, waiting for it to dry out for my order of 10 tons of chicken manure to be spread and to also spread sand for my melon patches.

By the way, hope you enjoy the "purple heart" potato pic at the top of the page, it's actually just a strangely shaped "all blue" that I noticed when we were chitting potatoes!

No comments: