Alfred Reed Bishop and Doris William Butler

The picture above is the very tap root of Bishop's Homegrown/Face Of The Earth Seed. My grandparents shortly after moving to Pekin Indiana from Greensburg KY in 1947 where they purchased the farm that is now Bishop's Homegrown. This picture was taken in Pekin in front of the old co-op next to the old railroad depot, neither of which exist today.

Search This Blog

Friday, December 14, 2007

Visitors



My cousin Jeff (far right) has been in from Houston Texas the past couple of weeks giving me a hand here at the farm when he has a free day here and there. We always make it a point to try to incorporate Jeff's half brother and my cousin Montana (middle) into things that we do when we have a chance. As long as Montana doesn't have to get dirty and it doesn't involve snakes all is well. Montana has a slight learning disability but he is one of the best guys you could ever know and always good for a laugh, just don't mention snakes, or anything about them, or turtles, frogs, lizards, anything reptilian or amphibian and all is good!

Jeff really does a lot to help me, my family and the business out when he is in town and I am really appreciative of it and that Montana now has a true brother to hang out with and look up to. For reasons I won't list here (other than to say family differences) Montana and I never met Jeff until back in 2006. Montana and Jeff's father, my uncle, passed away in an unfortunate Motorcycle crash when we were both four, Jeff is about 7 years our senior and by the time we were born he was no longer around our area and we unfortunately weren't allowed contact with him by his mother...ever (even though his father also had custody of him). Needless to say, imagine our excitement when one day the phone rings and a long lost cousin is on the other end!

It only makes things that much better that Jeff and I share similar interests in agriculture since he is a landscaper and permaculturist, even on slow days here on the farm we can find something to talk about or do and spend some time with Montana. This pic was important for me to get up on the blog because we need to get a lot more pictures taken to make up for all of those missed in the past, this was also taken on my mothers birthday on the 13'Th of December and having Jeff and Montana around to celebrate with her, my Dad, and Kim really made her day, which in turn made mine.

I guess this is just a tribute of sorts to two of the best guys and two of the best friends I've ever known. Three Imaginary Boys of sorts.....(obscure The Cure reference)

No comments: