“Eco-Logical” Produce, Plants, Bait and More!
“Healthy Eco-Systems And Soil Make Healthy Plants and Healthy People, It’s Only Logical.”
Here are a few facts about the products we offer here at Bishop’s Homegrown and a few things to keep in mind elsewhere.
- Up to 50% of our fertilizer is created here on the farm through the use of Vermicomposting systems (worm composting), leaf molds and cover crops, these systems help us re-use and recycle produce and other natural products that would otherwise go to waste in an ordinary farming system, the remaining 50% of fertilizer comes from local cow manure which is steroid free and an occasional bit of composted chicken manure.
- We use “Bio-Logical” methods of pest and disease control first and foremost including beneficial insects, crop rotations, manual labor, and organic plant sprays and foliar feedings.
- 80% of our produce is exclusive to our farm in this region. We have our own plant breeding program concerned highly with beauty, taste, and nutrition that you will not find elsewhere, often with pigmentations higher in free amino acids than other produce vendors can provide we also provide documentation of our experiments and farm practices in our annually published research Journal each and every year.
- We also provide you with your favorite standby, old time, heirloom produce that you remember eating growing up as well as searching the world over for new varieties to bring to your Southern Indiana table.
- Our food miles: We are convinently located in Pekin Indiana and commonly distribute our produce to our customers within a 30-50 mile radius which provides for the freshest, petrol efficient produce possible.
- We absolutely never spray synthetic chemical pesticides or herbicides, instead relying on time tested traditional practices, natural selection, and beneficial insects to do the work for us