Alfred Reed Bishop and Doris William Butler

The picture above is the very tap root of Bishop's Homegrown/Face Of The Earth Seed. My grandparents shortly after moving to Pekin Indiana from Greensburg KY in 1947 where they purchased the farm that is now Bishop's Homegrown. This picture was taken in Pekin in front of the old co-op next to the old railroad depot, neither of which exist today.

Search This Blog

Monday, September 7, 2009

Busy!

Wow, so much to do before cold weather sets in and a lot to keep me busy!

Right now I'm building trellis systems for the future orchard/vineyard and cutting the cedar posts as well. Cutting a ton of wood for both greenhouses and house, preparing to slaughter a ton of chickens, planting orchard plants, starting perennial seeds, and so much more I can't even begin to fathom how I'll have time to do it all......though it is stressful it is fun.

This week I also have the added fun of cleaning out the goat pen, keeping an eye open for interesting native edible perennial and going on expeditions to track down the best of those for seed, and then exploring the ruins of what is left of "old Pekin" including the old cemetery on the outskirts of town both in search of history and useful cultivates.

Anyhow, I just wanted to take a moment to explain that soon cool weather will set in and this board will be hoping again and in full swing along with my blog and hopefully my new web-site, until then I will probably be a bit scarce around here so I hope you all will join in with anything you can contribute.

I have made huge leaps and bounds this year towards self sustainability and towards building this family farm into something to be proud of. The past several years has brought many new learning opportunities and has built my experience and faith in more ways than I can count

I was recently given the invitation and a plane ticket to Europe via Association Kokopelli and Michael Lachume (Canada Mike), an honor which I cannot express in words, I only wish the trip was possible for me at this point in time, unfortunately the work to do on this farm and regarding my plant breeding coupled with some family health issues has prevented such a trip from happening, but the invitation alone has renewed my spirit and my resolve.

The road in front of me is long but I look forward to traveling it. My work will move from annual plant breeding towards more perennial type crops. My introductions into the vegetable world will continue as at this point in time the name of the game is selection, both from new hybrids, commercial hybrids, and old open pollinated lines. Of course as many of you are aware, the world of poultry has also caught my fancy and the objective of breeding new colors of turkeys an guineas of the heritage type is most certainly on the agenda.

aah, and the future........culinary mushrooms.........so much to do on this little farm.

I've also been experimenting with creating my own various soil mixes and recipes completely from material commonly available on this farm, that's right, no bought inputs at all! I'll be updating that line of research here shortly! I'll also be uploading some notes regarding my work on the farm here shortly.

Also, many people have asked about the seed list, seed will be available again this season in limited quantities and I will probably upload the 2010 seed list here around the 1'st of October or so.

1 comment:

Dale Asberry said...

If you need shrooms, have a friend that is creating spawn. Would recommend the various Paul Stamets books for growing.

Trying to get my spawn to propagate using burlap bags filled with woodchips... I'll let you know if they fruit!