Alfred Reed Bishop and Doris William Butler

The picture above is the very tap root of Bishop's Homegrown/Face Of The Earth Seed. My grandparents shortly after moving to Pekin Indiana from Greensburg KY in 1947 where they purchased the farm that is now Bishop's Homegrown. This picture was taken in Pekin in front of the old co-op next to the old railroad depot, neither of which exist today.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A fantastic Interview with Dr. John Navazio via seeds of change.

Well it snowed here, a lot, and because of that snow I am tending to stay close to the house a bit more and spend some time studying before the season kicks in hard. Later this week I'll be making a couple thousand soil blocks and starting seeds. Some have already been started for the greenhouse project, I've also got some new baby rabbits, my first experience with rabbit kindling and it's going pretty well so far. One of the incubators is full of turkey eggs as well and during all of this I am attempting to kick my bad smoking habbit, so even when it's slow it's still a bit busy.

That being said, while looking around the net for some information regarding a few seed varieties I am searching for I came accross an interesting and very informative interview via Seeds Of Change with plant breeder extrodinaire Dr. John Navazio. Anyone with an interest in seed saving, self sustainable agriculture or particularly plant breeding should check it out, there is a ton of good information in there particularly in regards to selecting from a diverse set of genetics (without any actual cross polinating) for new varieties of food and flower plants. I think after reading this many more of you will veiw yourselves as plant breeders as opposed to seed savers after reading this one.

The interview is here:

http://www.seedsofchange.com/market_growers/field_report_navazio_32.aspx

No comments: