Alfred Reed Bishop and Doris William Butler

The picture above is the very tap root of Bishop's Homegrown/Face Of The Earth Seed. My grandparents shortly after moving to Pekin Indiana from Greensburg KY in 1947 where they purchased the farm that is now Bishop's Homegrown. This picture was taken in Pekin in front of the old co-op next to the old railroad depot, neither of which exist today.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Peasant barn: coming along.

Turkey shed

"Barn Stand"


Breeding Pen




Metal will be covered with paint.





We got all the metal work done on the outside of the barn and most of the cross bracing is now in place. There is a partial second story to one side of the barn above what used to be a corn crib and will now be breeding cages for controlled turkey and guinea crosses and brooding boxes for turkey hens.


Found a place where there once was a window at the apex of the back of the barn facing the neighbors property, we always have coyote problems from this area and there is a large population of red squirrel in the trees in that area along with a nice deer trail cutting accross it so I had to make a platform under the window as a "barn stand" lol. Way to wet to work today as the roof is still leaky, but it won't take long now.



I hope to have it done by December so I can begin doing some "dofer blacksmithing". All in all about $100. investment for my "utility" barn, minus of course the tetanus shot from stepping on a rusty 16 penny nail a couple weeks ago. Ignore the mess in the pictures.










1 comment:

Name: Johno said...

Alan, I really wish I could be there a re-construction adviser. I love that kind of work, just can't get my hands in it much anymore. I'm sure you did a fine job, but if you ever have any doubts or questions, shoot me a photo and I'll try to help.