Alfred Reed Bishop and Doris William Butler

The picture above is the very tap root of Bishop's Homegrown/Face Of The Earth Seed. My grandparents shortly after moving to Pekin Indiana from Greensburg KY in 1947 where they purchased the farm that is now Bishop's Homegrown. This picture was taken in Pekin in front of the old co-op next to the old railroad depot, neither of which exist today.

Search This Blog

Monday, December 22, 2008

http://www.caduceus.org/




For those like me who have an intense interest in the cultivation of not only food including vegetables and fruits in the garden but those that grow in orchards and vineyards as well and the wonderful spirits produced from these products, you would be well served to check out this new project by Maynard James Keenan.

I love it when my former life in creating music crosses over into my more recent endeavors in agriculture. A prime example is Caduceus cellars and Merkin vineyards owned by Maynard James Keenan (the lead singer of popular bands Tool and A Perfect Circle). Back when I was playing music (more often) Maynards two bands were hugely inspirational to me, so it is highly ironic that now that I have set foot into the world of agriculture in advanced systems, so too has Maynard (we did so at the same time as well it appears).

Though I myself have yet to try anything from Cadeuceus's catalog and do not yet have a vineyard planted, I do have an intense interest in planting a vineyard in the future and am very engaged in researching and preparing to make my own brews, be them wine, mead, or beer.

Weather you are an experienced brewer or a newbie, I am sure you will enjoy reading Maynard's blog on the Caduceus web site (It's Labeled Journal). If nothing else it bears looking at for the beautiful pictures of Merkin West.

Maynard seems to have an intense interest in several forms of agriculture as he recently branched out and purchased a small farmers market out in Cornville Arizona, I really wish we had more folks like this who could bring further attention to small bio-regions, intensive cultivation, and alternative means and methods.

No comments: