Alfred Reed Bishop and Doris William Butler

The picture above is the very tap root of Bishop's Homegrown/Face Of The Earth Seed. My grandparents shortly after moving to Pekin Indiana from Greensburg KY in 1947 where they purchased the farm that is now Bishop's Homegrown. This picture was taken in Pekin in front of the old co-op next to the old railroad depot, neither of which exist today.

Search This Blog

Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Wyrm: Metamorphosis (help me find fishtanks!)

LOL, there probably has never been a stranger blog post title. Anyhow, today I visited Paul's place once again, I had meant to take pictures but walked out and forgot my camera so that will have to wait until the next visit which probably won't be long from now. I am realizing that Paul is really good at engineering new ideas particularly concerning self sustainable soil production and so on, I am still impressed by his humble but efficient set up and some of the processes he has implemented. Today we discussed some new ideas regarding the fifty gallon water catchment barrels and how we can use a gravity feed to fill the barrels and move the water to where we want it at. Paul even had the foresight to make a very nice schematic of how the system might work, he is much more organized than I am.

Anyhow, I brought back the fifty gallon and ten gallon tank Paul was able to find for me for the Aquaphonics/Aqua-Char experiments and I got them into the greenhouse and set in their proper places for future work. This week I should be finishing up the tomatoes in the greenhouse so if you live local and want to try some really terrific orange tomatoes that are organically grown and delicious then give us a call 1-812-967-2073 or checkout Crossroads general store at the corner of Voles and Mann road in Pekin Indiana), once those tomatoes are out of the house then the worms will be moving in. I ordered two more lbs of worms which should arrive later this week.

I'll have to install the tarp, fill the bins with new bedding/food, move the worms from the old bin in the old worm house and get everything set into place, tomorrow I will add some further shelving to the building for storage/work materials and also to accommodate more fish tanks.

I also had a chance to stop by my friend Jeeps little general store "Crossroads" where we have been selling our produce the past few months. Jeep and a friend of his had just gotten back from a trip out to Nevada and showed me some cool pictures of the desert out there, very impressive stuff. Anyhow, Jeep had some news for me on the possibility of obtaining a new greenhouse which I would use as a cold frame, very exciting to say the least!

If you live locally, do you know of anyone with some used fish tanks to get rid of for cheap or free to a good home? Any help would be appreciated and I would gladly trade you produce during growing season for your help or a fish tank. Give me a call or e-mail: bishopshomegrown@gmail.com

No comments: