Alfred Reed Bishop and Doris William Butler

The picture above is the very tap root of Bishop's Homegrown/Face Of The Earth Seed. My grandparents shortly after moving to Pekin Indiana from Greensburg KY in 1947 where they purchased the farm that is now Bishop's Homegrown. This picture was taken in Pekin in front of the old co-op next to the old railroad depot, neither of which exist today.

Search This Blog

Monday, December 8, 2008

Fall/Winter 2009 Tomato Crop Greenhouse Number 1.





Last night I finished picking all the tomatoes from Greenhouse number one (the larger of the two) including the green ones because they were at breaker stage and we were having some issues with our heating equipment. The wheelbarrow here was heaped up as of this morning but we sold close to 25 lbs today and I sent Kim's family quite a few for an early Christmas present. The other greenhouse should be finished out by the end of this week, our yield this year was astounding and I am very proud.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice haul Alan!
OK - so what variety is that gorgeous red fleshed spud on your header?

Ottawa Gardener said...

Nice veg and I am sooo jealous that you have a heated greenhouse? By the way, your pic has changed. I thought you had long hair on the chin?

Bishops Homegrown said...

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Leigh, the potatoes in the header are actually a mixture of several varieties that I managed to obtain via Tom Wagner and his TaterMater seed operation, the names and numbers escape me at the moment but I'll see what I can dig up for you and reply back. Some of them were actually bi-color white/red or yellow/red. Interesting material to say the least.

Ottawa Gardener, we have two large greenhouses, one a 20 x 48 foot and the other a 20 x 36. As of this spring only the larger of the two will be used for food production while the smaller is being converted into a fertility factory that we are calling The Wyrm using bio-char, Vermicomposting, Bokashi, Thermophillic composting, and Aquaculture to create fertility for the whole of the farm, it is becoming an interesting project to say the least.

I did have a beard for a few months, but recently shaved it off in order to play Santa Claus for the town of New Pekin, I was afraid it would slip from underneath the costume beard.