Alfred Reed Bishop and Doris William Butler

The picture above is the very tap root of Bishop's Homegrown/Face Of The Earth Seed. My grandparents shortly after moving to Pekin Indiana from Greensburg KY in 1947 where they purchased the farm that is now Bishop's Homegrown. This picture was taken in Pekin in front of the old co-op next to the old railroad depot, neither of which exist today.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Gnosis by mail mystery!

Last week I received a mysterious package in the mail with no return address listed, inside the package was a terrific little book, a gem of knowledge as you know if ever you have read it (BTW Gnosis=Knowledge.


The Title: The One Straw Revolution by Masanobu Fukuoka

I have had little time to read as of late but have made room for this little brown gem of knowledge alongside Dr. Alan Kapuler's resource journals and old Peace Seeds catalogues. The knowledge gained has been outstanding! Questions that have long lingered in my mind have been answered, light bulbs have been lighting up over my head, and I feel connected even more so to my resolve to explore alternative agriculture in a way I wasn't sure would work previously and now the sun in shining and the Easter Lillie's are blooming, I have undeniable and unalienable faith in my ability to rally these ideas and cross pollinate them with my own in order to create my very own "chocolate factory"!


But what was really cool was that the book had no return address, the person was even clever enough to use my name while ordering the book! Like anyone I love a good mystery so I blew a couple hours trying to figure out who had sent this beautiful piece of knowledge and love my way! As it turns out, there was one connection listed on the receipt accompanying the book, an e-mail address, one which I was sure I had seen before but could not remember the source of, after a bit of research I found out that my good buddy Glenn Grossman who runs the excellent Clark County Food and Farm blog had sent me this special package! I can never thank him enough.

If you have never read the One Straw Revolution or heard of Masanobu Fukuoka I strongly suggest you check both out. I also cannot recommend enough the Peace Seeds Resource journals available from www.peaceseeds.com or from www.seedsofchange.com they are invaluable!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm assuming my comment got eaten by blogger so here it is again:

The Holistic Agriculture Library
(http://soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/01aglibwelcome.html) has many books including The One Straw Revolution (free, too).
EJ

Anonymous said...

I was going to say the same thing, you can download One Straw for free if you want. I made a post a little while ago, with a few links to other books worth downloading and having a look at too:

http://www.patnsteph.net/weblog/?p=259