Alfred Reed Bishop and Doris William Butler

The picture above is the very tap root of Bishop's Homegrown/Face Of The Earth Seed. My grandparents shortly after moving to Pekin Indiana from Greensburg KY in 1947 where they purchased the farm that is now Bishop's Homegrown. This picture was taken in Pekin in front of the old co-op next to the old railroad depot, neither of which exist today.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

So many experiments!











Got a lot of stuff in the ground today. Still having a few germination problems from the rapid changes in the weather this season. Funny thing is 96% of the seed with issues is seed I bought or traded for that has not yet been saved and selected for use on the farm yet; evolution, even if man assisted, takes a few years I suppose.








Planted some beans (mostly dry soup pole types) in the acre and a half of "Amanda Palmer" corn today, for nitrogen and those much needed winter "pick me up"meals.








Lots and lots of turkeys running around the farm. Today I put 20 more out in the smaller turkey coop (former Rion Greenhouse/Former humanure compost hut). Tons of diversity in the poultry flock this year, but after seeing a mature Rio Grande tom in captivity yesterday it is the potential that lay in wait in their specific genome that excites me the most.








We have seriously been thinking about our ability to host or create a Kenturky derby racing event on Oaks day next year to bring attention to heritage breeds, new breeding efforts, and to make a few dollars for the farm, it is most certainly a possibility.








While I've been mulling over the seed company/seed CSA ideas I've come to realize just what a base I've created here in 6 years, I'm well on my way to becoming a facility that could host some farm tours and publish research materials. We are slowly become a miniature and independent agricultural research station.








-more soon




Alan Reed Bishop

No comments: