Alfred Reed Bishop and Doris William Butler

The picture above is the very tap root of Bishop's Homegrown/Face Of The Earth Seed. My grandparents shortly after moving to Pekin Indiana from Greensburg KY in 1947 where they purchased the farm that is now Bishop's Homegrown. This picture was taken in Pekin in front of the old co-op next to the old railroad depot, neither of which exist today.

Search This Blog

Monday, February 14, 2011

The 2011 Egg hustle.....





Yep, it's that time of the year again, when I start freaking out about hatching eggs and breeding birds. I've had the turkeys cooped up for a few weeks now (to keep them out of the trees and get them laying a bit earlier in the season) and have been giving them some home milled high protein/high calcium feed to get the fertility rate up as well as leaving a light on them 24/7.

The finally started rewarding me today with a scant few eggs, but the coop will have to be checked numerous times a day as the toms often destroy the nests in a desperate effort to maintain their dominance over the hens.

The guineas won't start laying until late April or Early May....thank god. That gives me a good jump on all the other birds/hatching that needs to be done.

Not the least of my concerns this season is working with my Coturnix and amplifying stock with exemplary traits (Jumbo x Texas A&M) for meat and egg production.

I'm always way short on incubator space, because no matter how well I manage my money I never can find the extra cash to buy a proper sportsman or two, perhaps I do have the money, but the price tag often scares me away. Maybe this spring....tax returns are coming!

Luckily our awesome friend Blanch Perkins had a hovabator genesis she no longer needed and passed it along our way! Hovabators are absolutely fantastic little incubators for hatching quail and chickens and guineas though I have never had much luck with turkeys in them.

I dug out an old storage shelf and stuck it in the back of the hallway for a makeshift incubation center for this spring, compete with a date/note book to keep track of all the hatch dates, humidity ranges and temperatures.

I'll also keep track of the rabbits in this little book.

Blanche also had a nice flock of guineas which her dogs were using for quick snacks that she passed our way, giving us access to a whole new range of genetics we didn't have before including buff and chocolate as well as what appears to be bronze :)

For those living locally and interested in poults, keets, chicks, and coturnix this spring, shoot us an e-mail or give us a call to put in your request.

No comments: