Alfred Reed Bishop and Doris William Butler

The picture above is the very tap root of Bishop's Homegrown/Face Of The Earth Seed. My grandparents shortly after moving to Pekin Indiana from Greensburg KY in 1947 where they purchased the farm that is now Bishop's Homegrown. This picture was taken in Pekin in front of the old co-op next to the old railroad depot, neither of which exist today.

Search This Blog

Thursday, October 20, 2011

My Resume.......

Unfotunately being a farmer doesn't always make ends meet and ocassionally a job must be sought off farm to fill in the gaps. Unfortunately having a seven year work history working for yourself on a farm doesn't tend to get you hired anywhere for some reason, not to mention it definitely doesn't seem to get you hired doing something that you actually love that wouldn't necessarily feel like a job!



Yes the economy sucks. I get it. Yes, I don't have a long list of recent employeers you can call for verification exct. but surely theres got to be someone out there willing to hire me to do something for you or your business!

So, let me cover my qualifications, perhaps not in the most organized resume sort of way, but something similar anyhow.

I grew up on a tobacco farm In Pekin IN. I've been running farm equipment since the age of seven and I am proficient in cultivation, plowing, fertilizing, mowing, and planting and any number of other machinery driven jobs. I have a strong background in self taught plant breeding. I am an expert composter; both thermophilic and "cold" composting and I have an intense love for plants and animals and could be considered a professional seed saver.

I have tons of experience in plant propigation both from seed and cuttings including grafting, cloning, root cuttings, air layering, rooting and more. I have mixed potting soils using both professional materials as well as homemade compost and locally sourced sustainable ingredients. I have five years of experience in worm composting as well.



I have experience with woodland management and am proficient with a chainsaw and am familiar with trail making. I also am proficient at maintaining and increasing woodland bio-diversity such as ginseng and yellow root, both of which I have raised from seed to fruition. I know my local flora and fauna and have a bit of experience with grading timber and maintaining a stand with a good mixture of species.



I have experience with a number of different types of livestock including poultry of all types, pigs, and also goats. I have incubated eggs, raised poults, and even made my own feed from corn I grew and harvested on my farm in conjunction with other crops. I have butchered a few hundred chickens, turkeys, rabbits, guineas, quail, and squirrel at this point in my life; safely, quickly, and proficiently.

I have a strong connection to my community and the wider agriculture community via my blog at homegrowngoodness.blogspot.com and also my messageboard at alanbishop.proboards.com, both of which are focused on education of the general public. I also serve on the board of Washington County Artisans and Farmers as Vice President and I am working with the board of Old Settlers Days to improve the festival. I have done historical reenactments as a Yeomen farmer at both Old Settlers Days and Becks Mill. I am a former board member of Washington County Farmers Market and a previous member of Pierce Polk Vol. Fire Dept.



I have a lot of customer service experience due to my several years of working at farmers markets. I also have a strong background in advertising as I am the primary driver of business to both my produce business and also to my seed company. I also work on the marketing comitte of the Washington County Artisans and Farmers market. I am proficient at contacting newspapers and driving media attention as well as designing and distributing flyers and brochoures.




I have some carpentry skills due to the necessity of needing to build barns and animal pens on the farm as well as house repairs, building greenhouses, and generally making due with what I have on hand. I have some chemistry experience from making wine and soap by hand from scratch.

I have experience with conducting education and giving tours as I have done for several years to large groups here on my farm. I am excellent at giving presentations to large groups of people due to my many speaking engagements at local social clubs including the Rotary Club, Chamber Of Commerce, and Master Gardeners.

I have written articles for many publications including Permaculture.co.uk, Lost River Market and Deli newsletter, Not Just Heasay News, and several blogs.

I'm a hard worker capable of picking up 75 lbs of weight at frequent intervals and up to 150 lbs. I can and have dug ditches, ponds, root cellars and holes to put plants in. I'm not afraid to get dirty and I am certainly not above or new to mucking out a barn or pig pen. I am proficient with a wheelbarrow and a maddock. I have tons of landscaping experience including design including permaculture.

Oh yeah, I also volunteer to play Santa Clause on a yearly basis for my town Christmas celebration as well as the fire dept. Christmas celebration.

This is just a small sample of what I have done as a farmer over the past seven years, if this skill set might match your job or an employer that you know of please contact me at:





Alan Bishop


5604 S. State Rd. 60


Pekin IN 47165





or call


812-967-2073

No comments: