Alfred Reed Bishop and Doris William Butler

The picture above is the very tap root of Bishop's Homegrown/Face Of The Earth Seed. My grandparents shortly after moving to Pekin Indiana from Greensburg KY in 1947 where they purchased the farm that is now Bishop's Homegrown. This picture was taken in Pekin in front of the old co-op next to the old railroad depot, neither of which exist today.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Corn Shelling Table.

As those who came to the Homegrown Goodness seed swap can attest, I didn't have the best set up for shelling and grinding corn as I had thrown together a quick "dofer" to get me through until I had time to set up something a bit more permanent. This past week I did just that making use of one of my 4x4x4 crates along with a corn sheller I bought at a yardsale for $10 and a mill that was sent to me by my good friend Hayne. We took a few quick pics to show off our new set up and thought we'd share with you.









The turkeys, guineas, and goats seem to really love the Amanda Palmer corn. The corn allows us to explore the completion of many cycles here on farm. Seed to seed, animal feed converted to human feed, seed converted to human feed, and of course the cobs are also used for bedding in the turkey/guinea and chicken coops which we then compost and use to grow more food!

No comments: