Alfred Reed Bishop and Doris William Butler

The picture above is the very tap root of Bishop's Homegrown/Face Of The Earth Seed. My grandparents shortly after moving to Pekin Indiana from Greensburg KY in 1947 where they purchased the farm that is now Bishop's Homegrown. This picture was taken in Pekin in front of the old co-op next to the old railroad depot, neither of which exist today.

Search This Blog

Friday, December 31, 2010

Early Winter Vermicomposting!








Being an intensive worm farmer and general advocate of all things compost related I thought I'd share a quick picture post with you guys since I haven't blogged about vermicomposting for a while.

Every year towards the end of Decembere-through sometime in early January I like to give my usually leissure faire worm composting method a little boost to increase production by spring when most of this material needs to be finished for the farm fields and potted plants.

I've tried any numberous methods of worm farming that you've likely ever read about and until a couple years back when I met my buddy Paul I was very intensive about my means and methods, since that time I've learned; keep them moist, watch the PH level and leave them alone, they will do just fine! I don't normally even flip the beds anymore and the population of worms in these bins being as high as it is, I very rarely, if ever really, have any issue with the bins going anearobic unless I've simply overloaded it with material.

Throughout the spring summer and fall composting goes on at full force, but come winter things slow down and the worms don't metabolize as quickly since the micro-organisms they rely on for food also slow down, so I wait until a stretch of warm weather (35-50 degrees) to turn the bins since the temperature at this time will push 85 degrees in "The Wyrm" house, at this time I flip the bins vigorously and water heavily, this will be the last bit of care the bins will recieve until they are harvested in spring, by which time 90% of the material in these bins will be of use to us.

No comments: