Alfred Reed Bishop and Doris William Butler

The picture above is the very tap root of Bishop's Homegrown/Face Of The Earth Seed. My grandparents shortly after moving to Pekin Indiana from Greensburg KY in 1947 where they purchased the farm that is now Bishop's Homegrown. This picture was taken in Pekin in front of the old co-op next to the old railroad depot, neither of which exist today.

Search This Blog

Monday, January 4, 2010

Re-using on farm Junk/New Turkey Coop

I have a compulsion about cleaning up junk brought to the farm by other family members. Junk annoys me, anything laying around without a use really annoys me. I had been staring at the guttering laying next to the barn for the past few years trying to find a use for it. Some of it was used on some buildings to make some water catchment systems, but there was still a lot left. Then it hit me; "Those would be perfect for growing alpine strawberries in!"


As you might remember from reading the blog, this past year I cut a number of cedar posts to make some trellis systems, it just so happens those gutters fit perfectly at the top of those trellis's. Yeah, I know, the strawberries will freeze out in the winter time and will have to be watered in the summer, no big deal. Since alpines self sow readily and since I do a lot of alpine breeding I've always got enough seed to replant in these new troughs. Junk problem solved!


Also, since I'm expanding on my poultry, particularly my turkey flock, I have been in bad need of a secondary coop but I was a bit short on money to build one, alas, I found my solution.

My first greenhouse was a Rion 8 x 8, I always suggest to people buying a greenhouse for the first time not to waste their money on these overly expensive and cheaply produced houses but to instead buy a cold frame. The problem with these hobby kits is that no matter how well you put them together eventually the panels are going to be blown out by the wind and the plastic is going to crack in places. I have used mine for many different projects since buying it, it has been a greenhouse, a seed drying facility, a potting shed, a humanure hut, and now a turkey coop.


I framed out the sides with some rough cut lumber (like I used in building the huge meat rabbit grow out hutch), attached some chicken wire across the bottom for ventilation and knocked out the side panels. I took some old tobacco sticks and screwed them to the front and back and then used the tarp off of the old chicken coop to cover the top and block the sun out. For roosts on the inside I screwed some metal 2 x 4 pieces in place (these were dropped off here 3 years ago by one of my dad's friends for no good reason, I'm glad to find a use for them) and thus a Rion greenhouse was turned into a homegrown turkey coop! Speaking of using junk, in front of the new coop you'll notice some old ammo boxes, wherein there are seed for five types of raspberries, a blackberry type, and two gooseberry types stratifying, more junk with a good use!


For some reason blogger isn't allowing me to upload photos so I'll try an embed from my picassa account.

Bishop's Homegrown 2010

No comments: